Welcome back to Good Music Monday at Carrots! After dealing with the aftermath of a viral post that was (sadly) controversial, I was ready for something lighter this morning. And since a reader requested a new playlist, I thought that would be a good way to ease back into the week.
And before we dive in, I want to thank each and every one of you who sent me an email, a message on twitter, or contacted me through Instagram or Facebook to encourage me last week about my post about rejecting white supremacy. Thank you for sharing it. Thank you for believing that the dignity of every human person is important. Thank you for being willing to look at something ugly, knowing that the truth is more important than our discomfort. For every person who accused me of spreading “the lies of Satan” (yes, this actually happened) there were 50 of you telling me how the post encouraged you, inspired you, or motivated you to research the alt-right movement. So many people contacted me to say, “I just didn’t know about this movement until I read your post and started to look into it.” Shining a light on the alarming white supremacist ideology so that faithful people of goodwill would be aware was what I hoped to achieve. So while dealing with all the hate mail wasn’t exactly a treat, I am glad I sent this piece out there. And your encouragement and love meant more than you know.
Ok, so I created a Spotify playlist so you can listen to some fun jams. This one has a mix of guilty pleasure bands for some catchy tunes and some meatier stuff.
Ready for some good music?
(You might have to click over to the actual site to access the Spotify playlist if you’re reading on a feed reader.)
- Cracks and Creases: Serengeti (This is one that showed up on my Discover Weekly and I thought it was a good start to a Monday morning.)
- The Glow: Sylvan Esso (I pretty much love everything she touches.)
- Good Grief: Bastille (I feel like Bastille is a little bit of a guilty pleasure band but….this one is just SO catchy.)
- Gone for Good: The Shins (You should listen to The Shins. It’ll change your life. Or at least that’s what Garden State told me.)
- Live And Die: The Avett Brothers (Benjamin LOVES this one.)
- All Your Favorite Bands: Dawes (I’ve been getting into Dawes lately because Lucy’s godfather really likes them and this song is just a delight.)
- Run for Cover: The Killers (It’s no secret that I adore The Killers. While their album was half fantastic, half forgettable, I’m a big fan of this song.)
- Shake: The Head and the Heart (Have I already put this song on a playlist? I can’t remember. I think I put a Head and the Heart song on every playlist.)
- Babylon: David Gray (Should out to my sophomore year in high school jam. Pretty sure I know every word on this album.)
- Good Heart: David Ramirez (I got to see David Ramirez play in September and was super impressed. His new album is great. His old album is great.)
- Jackrabbit: San Fermin (Is this not the catchiest song ever?!)
- This Year: The Mountain Goats (I’ve always felt kinda obligated to like The Mountain Goats because they titled an album after my hometown, Tallahassee. But I’m not sure I’ve really loved any of the songs I’ve heard until this one.)
- Want You Back: HAIM (Just catchy.)
- Sedona: Houndstooth (This is one of those songs Spotify finds for you that I ended up really liking. Well done, algorithm.)
- Anna Sun: WALK THE MOON (I think I’ve put this song on a playlist before, but this is a different version, I think. And it’s so good and a good way to finish out Monday morning.)
Hope you enjoy it!