Welcome back to Good Music Monday at Carrots!
We JUST moved out of our Christmas music listening, took out our tree, and packed up our Christmas decorations (but hey! It wasn’t even Candlemas, yet, so we were ahead of schedule!). This time of year can be a little bit of a downer, and I can’t help but gravitate toward haunting music.
But this playlist isn’t a total downer, it’s got some catchy tunes, too. A lot of songs that were my college go-tos. Hope you enjoy it!
Ready for some good music?
(You might have to click over to the actual site to access the Spotify playlist if you’re reading on a feed reader.)
- No One’s Gonna Love You: Band of Horses (One of my favorite bands. Daniel and I saw them open for Iron & Wine years ago having never heard of them and they were such a great opener that I could have listened to them all night.)
- Futile Devices: Sufjan Stevens (The first time I heard this album I hated–hated–it. It’s so different from Sufjan’s previous albums and I was not having it. But I really grew to love it and this is my favorite song on Age of Adz.)
- Phase Me Out: VERITE (A new-to-me song that Spotify suggested for me and it’s catchy enough for a Monday.)
- Bloodbuzz Ohio: The National (I just love The National. And I seem to always love songs with Ohio in the title. No idea why.)
- Hummingbird: Wilco (Wilco was my favorite band in early college. I will always love them. Here’s a more upbeat one since there’s so much melancholy on this playlist!)
- Mykonos: Fleet Foxes (Nothing new, but so pretty.)
- First Day of My Life: Bright Eyes (Who else was super into Bright Eyes in high school?! C’mon. I know you’re out there. High school Haley really hopes you enjoy this blast from the past. 2017 Haley is really sorry that Conor Oberst’s voice still sounds like that.)
- Between the Bars: Elliott Smith (I will always love you Elliott Smith. RIP. Every single song is so. terribly. sad. )
- Blood: The Middle East (Follow up a super depressing song with one titled “Blood.” Great work, Haley. Sorry, guys, but I love this one. Also reminds me of college.)
- This Year’s Love: David Gray (David Gray was MY JAM in high school. This is my favorite of his songs. But this whole album, White Ladder is GOLD.)
- Rivers and Roads: The Head and the Heart (I don’t think I can make a playlist without The Head and the Heart.
Hope you enjoy the melancholy!