Welcome back to Good Music Monday at Carrots! Here’s a Spotify playlist just for you to enjoy as the weather changes from warm to cool. (Ok, so I know some of you are already freezing, but in Texas we’re still getting the occasional 80 degree day, so it’s JUST now turning the corner into autumn.)
This week we’re catching our breath after three straight weeks of constant busyness. I like having margins to our days, so I plan to just get back into a good homeschool groove and then I’m taking a quick day trip to Austin to give a talk. So I’ve got that to look forward to!
This time of year I find myself reaching for melancholy, chill tunes. Bon Iver, Iron & Wine, Seabear, that sort of thing. So this mix has plenty of melancholy, a little bit of catchy, and a lot of Americana/Appalachian.
Ready for some good music?
(You might have to click over to the actual site to access the Spotify playlist if you’re reading on a feed reader.)
- When My Time Comes: Dawes (I’ve never really gotten into Dawes, but I keep hearing this song and really loved it.)
- Flightless Bird, American Mouth: Iron & Wine (I’m such a big fan of Iron & Wine. Daniel and I got to see them–with Band of Horses as an opener!–a few years back and it was such a memorable show. This is probably my favorite song from this album.)
- Paris Is Burning: St. Vincent (This one has a little bit of an apocalyptic feel to it. It reminds me of My Brightest Diamond’s Bring Me the Workhorse album.)
- Wandering Bird: The Courage (New to me song and band.)
- Evil: PHOX (Another new to me song/band.)
- As Tall as Cliffs: Margot and the Nuclear So-and-So’s (Have enjoyed this band for years, but just heard this song recently.)
- Blue Mountains: Sam Amidon (I’m a big fan of ballad-y Appalachian songs.)
- Oh Atlanta: Alison Krauss (Something a little more upbeat. LOVE Alison Krauss. And this one makes me want to drive away on a trip to ATL.)
- Take a Walk: Passion Pit (So catchy.)
- Pumped up Kicks: Foster the People (Cannot stop dancing to this one.)
- Tonight You Belong to Me: Eddie Vedder, Cat Power (Eddie Vedder and a ukelele. Enough said.)
- Michigan: The Milk Carton Kids (New to me song, but so haunting.)
- Fire by Night: Josh Garrels (A friend recently recommended Garrels to me because he’s going to be playing in Waco in early December.)
- 10,000 Weight in Gold: The Head and the Heart (Love everything they do.)
- I’ve Got This Friend: The Civil Wars (Still sad they’re not making music anymore.)
- Wandering: Taarka (I’m usually partial to fiddle.)
- Don’t Let Me Down: The Chainsmokers (The kids sing this one all the time. And I can’t blame them. It’s super catchy.)
- Angeline: Bombadil (So I MAY have just picked this song because the band is called Bombadil. I can’t tell you why they keep pronouncing Angeline different.)
- New Slang: The Shins (Oldie but goodie.)
Hope you enjoy it!