Welcome back to Good Music Monday at Carrots! Here’s a Spotify playlist just for you to enjoy on this hot June Monday (it’s getting HOT this week in Waco) for whatever your day holds.
My big kids are at day camp, so it’s just me and Gwen hanging out. I’m hoping to get some work done since the big kids are busy at camp, but everyone knows that a lone three-year-old is probably the worst possible situation for productivity. #wherearemyplaymates
I’m still reeling from the horrible news this weekend. Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims of the Orlando shooting in my home state of Florida. Lord, have mercy.
“The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater.” – J.R.R. Tolkien
It grows perhaps the greater. H/t to my friend Molly for reminding me of that beautiful quote.
When asked what we can do to bring an end to violence and peace to our world, Mother Teresa said, “Go home and love your family.” And she wasn’t being flippant. She believed that peace begins in the home and ripples out to touch every piece of our world. Tragedies of hate make me feel so helpless. How can we fight such evil? The battle begins in our own families. We can only fight with love. Let’s fight well this week, friends.
(You might have to click over to the actual site to access the Spotify playlist if you’re reading on a feed reader.)
- Coffee: Sylvan Esso (Friend at the farm introduced me to this new-to-me artist. Can’t stop listening.)
- Katie Queen of Tennessee: The Apache Relay (This one is so sunny. But what exactly is happening? Is he going to jail? Who knows.)
- My Young Man: Esme Patterson (Really loving the feel of this one.)
- Whole Wide World: Big Tree (“I can’t seem to get over how pretty the whole wide world is.”)
- Cheap Thrills: Sia (So catchy. Try not to dance.)
- Peaches: Bob Schneider (I think he’s from Austin?)
- Electric Love: BORNS (Some good get the kitchen clean and dance while doing it music.)
- My Silver Lining: First Aid Kit (Big fan of these ladies.)
- Boardwalks–Sonny Alvin Remix: Little May (Great remix of a great song.)
- Aeroplane: The Everybodyfields (I’ve loved this song for ages. This is a pretty great album.)
- Ain’t No Good: Cake (Old song, great song. Daniel and I realized last week that we’ve been listening to Cake for….20 years the other day. Old.)
Hope you enjoy it!
Did I mention that I’m doing a whole30 right now? I’ve tried to document in on snapchat (I’m haleycarrots over there). Well, I’ve definitely eaten a handful of meals that were NOT whole30 compliant in the past couple of weeks. But overall, I’ve been pretty committed (and I’ve noticed that my blood sugar seems far more stable and I feel better in general.) I’ve also been eating more alkaline (lots more veggies and fruits and less grains, dairy, and inflammatory foods) over the past several months for my chronic illness (IC) and I’ve noticed a huge decrease in my symptoms.
If I don’t have eggs and veggies for breakfast, this blueberry smoothie is usually my go-to.
- frozen blueberries
- coconut milk or Daniel’s homemade yogurt
- coconut flakes
- almond butter
It turns bright purple from the blueberries which is pretty fun. I don’t put any sweetener in because the banana makes it sweet enough. And I really need protein in the morning or I will crash before lunch so the almond butter is a must (and alkaline and whole30 compliant).
I’ve been ordering the coconut flakes, flaxseed, and almond butter from Thrive Market over the past few months partly because there’s not a grocery store that carries everything I want nearby, I’d have to drive into town from the farm and partly because their prices are so good and they’re always offering free gifts with your orders. And right now they have FREE Justin’s Almond Butter which is great stuff and the brand I always look for because they don’t add any sugar or anything.
You can grab your free Almond Butter here!
Disclosure: Links to Thrive Market are affiliate links.