This post is sponsored by Toadily Handmade Beeswax Candles.
It’s been a stressful year for our family. Job changes, selling a house, moving our three kids across the country, and transitioning to a new town. I still feel like my head is spinning from the move even though we’ve been in TX a whole month. And I find myself longing for Advent–my favorite time of year.
Advent (this year it begins on November 29th) is the beginning of the liturgical year. And it always feels like a new beginning for my life, too. In our home we do everything we can to slow down for those four weeks before Christmas to center, prepare, and enjoy the anticipation of the Nativity of Our Lord so that we can be ready to kick up our heels for Christmas!
But I discovered last year that it was a couple of weeks into Advent before I really got into the groove because I wasn’t prepared mentally for the season.
This year, I want it to be different. I want to take a deep breath of relief on November 29th because we are prepared and ready to go so that it can be a contemplative and reflective season in our home. I am not a naturally organized or plan ahead kind of gal, but I know that my free spirited temperament doesn’t always serve me well when it comes to being prepared and lowering stress in our home. So here’s my game plan:
Make a list of the things you want to do during Advent.
For our family that might be…
- Make an Advent wreath.
- Light Advent candles and read Scripture as a family.
- Read picture books in preparation for Christmas.
- Listen to Advent music.
- Get our Christmas tree.
- Focus on simple meals.
Make a list of the things you DON’T want to do during Advent.
For us that might be…
- Don’t watch Christmas movies and listen to Christmas music yet (we try to save those treats for Christmas!).
- Hold back with the holiday baking projects.
- Don’t think about stepping foot in a mall (save me! I like to shop local….or Amazon in advance. I live in the extremes, apparently).
Tackle some tasks ahead of time.
- Christmas shopping, I’m looking at you. If I knock it out before Advent, there’s no gift scramble during what should be a quiet season. (And psst! Did you know you can do your Amazon Christmas shopping and support Carrots at the same time? Just shop through my affiliate link and I’ll receive a portion of the sale at NO additional cost to you! Thank you kindly.)
- And go ahead and order those Advent candles so you’re not stressing the first weekend of Advent.
- Look for the Advent picture books you want at your local used book store or get some from Amazon.
- Make an Advent playlist on Spotify.
Thankfully I’ve already got my Advent candles ready to go so check one thing off my list! Of the many Advent traditions for the home, having an Advent wreath and lighting our Advent candles is number one for me. If that’s all we do, it will still feel like Advent.
And I just may have that task sorted for you, as well, because I’m giving away TWO sets of Advent candles from a company I adore!
They’re made of 100% beeswax which makes my crunchy heart glad because there’s no nasty toxic ingredients and they burn clean and beautifully!
And beeswax candles are also liturgically appropriate. Did you know that religious candles were traditionally made of beeswax and candles used in Catholic churches are still supposed to be at least 51% beeswax? They burn purer and have that sweet beeswax scent and I can’t get enough of them.
And this year, by popular demand, Toadily Handmade Beeswax Candles has sets of solid Advent tapers in addition to their kits and other Advent tapers. So yay!
And one lucky winner will receive a beautiful set of these five Advent tapers: three purple, one rose, and one white candle (as a Christ candle for the center).
Another lucky winner will receive one of the hand rolled Advent taper sets. I love the way the hand rolled candles look and we roll our own each year with once of Toadily Handmade’s Candle Making kits. Since I let the kids roll them, they’re always slightly imperfect and I just love it to death. See exhibit A below. Just slightly squashed by happy little fingers.
Toadily Handmade Beeswax Candles is offering a 10% discount for Carrots readers on everything on their web site during the month of October! The discount code is ADVENT. And their candle making kits always come with free shipping.
OK, so to enter the giveaway for the solid Advent taper set and one hand rolled Advent candle set…(Only for Carrots readers in the United States and Canada for shipping reasons)
1. Mandatory entry: Visit the Toadily Handmade website and then come back and leave a comment at Carrots telling us about your favorite candles.
2. Additional entry: Visit Toadily Handmade Beeswax Candles on Facebook and leave an additional comment saying you did.
3. Additional entry: Pin this post to Pinterest and leave an additional comment saying you did.
I will choose the winners by random number generator. Giveaway ends on Thursday, October 15th at midnight EST. Good luck, friends and a stress-free Advent to all!
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post. Review and giveaway items were provided by Toadily Handmade Beeswax Candles. All opinions are my own. I only promote products I would purchase myself and I love giving away wonderful things to my readers!