At the beginning of the year (OK, February, because welcome to my disorganized life) I chose “health” as my word of the year. If you’ve been reading Carrots for awhile, you know that I really struggle with morning sickness/hyperemesis gravidarum and to be honest, I have a generally crummy immune system that leaves me with tonsilitis anytime I get exhausted or fall into poor eating habits (particularly in the sugar department).
So, I really have made an effort now that Baby Gwen is sleeping through the night (angels are singing!) to force myself out of survival mode into focusing on my health. I’ve done OK on some of my efforts, but I’ve got a ways to go. (And the exciting stuff about our book is at the bottom of the post, so if you’re thinking, “blah blah blah about your health resolutions, Haley” then just get scrolling to the end!) 😉
This year so far:
- No tonsilitis requiring antibiotics since January (yay!).
- Working with my chiropracter to take supplements that help boost my immune system (super strength garlic pills have helped knock out an infection when I start to feel my tonsils getting sick)
- Investigating vitamin deficiency and working to replenish vitamins and minerals after two close pregnancies (My MD had me take a blood test and discovered I’m Vitamin D deficient. Vitamin D is important for processing B vitamins and magnesium, both of which are crucial for combating bad morning sickness.)
- Getting enough sleep. 7ish hours a night now that Gwen is sleeping past 4am (YAY!) ain’t so bad.
- Sugar……Yikes. Ok, so I was so good during Lent because I only had sweets on Sundays. But then I went a little nuts with the sugar and I need to break the habit. Also, sugar can interfere with Vitamin D getting processed in your body. So, I’m looking into doing a Whole30 to really get out of the sugar cycle, but more on that later.
- Meal Planning; We’ve done way better with meal planning, especially now that I can handle the three kids in the grocery store (Trader Joe’s I love you, but my ankles hate your “Jr. customer” carts with a holy passion.)
- Exercise: I’m not teaching ballet this year and I just can’t fit in an exercise class like pilates or spin or something that requires child care while I do it. But, I did start doing a cardio workout DVD TurboFire. I have completely failed at working out daily, but a couple times a week is better than nothing. And I want to commit to one month of working out 6 days a week. I’ve never been one to prioritize exercise. I loved being a ballerina through high school but after that I haven’t found something I love. Running is not an option because…..hate every second of it. But I have noticed that I feel better and have more energy when I consistently do the TurboFire DVDs. I said to Daniel (who does things like run 100 mile races), “I think I actually feel better when I work out….is that a thing?” From the look he gave me, I deduce that it apparently is a thing. Who knew? 😉
So here’s what I’m gonna do to jump into the last part of the year:
Do a Whole30* to kick my sugar addiction to the curb. l would love to be one of those people who can eat sweets in moderation. I am not one of those people. I am a should-I-finish-one-sleeve-of-OREOs-or-two-sleeves-in-a-sitting kind of person. So, I need to go cold turkey before figuring out a middle ground (I think it will be something similar to what I was doing in Lent. No sweets during the week, but make a special dessert on Sundays because Sunday!)
Anybody want to be in a FB Whole30 group with me so I have some accountability when I feel like I’ll die if I don’t have cream in my coffee? I was thinking we could start August 29th and be done by Michaelmas on Sept. 29th! I tried doing one last fall but Gwen was still exclusively breastfed and my milk supply was taking a hit, so I quit halfway through.
*Whole30 is 30 days of non-processed foods, tons of vegetables, protein, and some fruit. No grains, dairy, or sugar (which is important for me because I think I’ve got some intolerances going on with gluten and dairy.)
Coming Soon! (Wanna Get Our Ebook and more for Free?)
And heads up, if you’re also in the mood to focus on health I have something really exciting coming up. Remember when our book, Feast! Real Food, Reflections, and Simple Living for the Christian Year, was part of the Ultimate Homemaking Ebook Bundle in the spring? Well we’ve been asked to participate again! But this time all the books are geared toward healthy living and there will be tons of books on real food, food allergies, (lots of books with gluten-free options which is a yay! for my gf kids), green cleaning, gardening, organic food on a budget, e-courses on essential oils, and much more. Basically you get a ton of great books for a very low price.
Some of the bloggers participating are folks that I really look up to and I’m honestly star struck to be part of this bundle sale with them. I’m not allowed to share any of the specifics with you until later and I’m bursting at the seams! Anyhow, the Ultimate Healthy Living Ebook Bundle is doing a special pre-launch campaign with rewards for referrals to family and friends.
Here’s how it works (this is pretty cool):
- You sign up to be notified when the sale goes live (I can’t tell you when it is yet, because it’s still a secret but coming soon!)
- Then you’ll get a special link to refer friends and family and get rewards for doing so! Anyone who refers 1 friend will receive $5 off their bundle! If you refer 5 friends you’ll receive a 12-session audio conference, and referring 10 will get you an Ultimate Healthy Living Bundle for absolutely FREE! (This is pretty big since all of the books, e-courses, and bonuses added up would be a value of over $1,000)
(So basically, by referring 10 friends, you could get Feast! and dozens of other ebooks, e-courses, and great bonuses for FREE. I am already completely thrilled with the titles and have ordered the bonuses already and I’m dying to tell you what’s inside!) So go ahead and check out the pre-launch refer-a-friend link so that you can win the rewards and I’ll share more details as soon as I’m able to. Because the pre-launch campaign will only be available until the sale goes live, so if you want to win a FREE Ultimate Healthy Living Bundle, you’ll want to go ahead and get your referrals soon!
Can’t wait to tell you more! Did you have any health goals this year? How are they coming along?