Benjamin’s Birth Story: Part Three

Share on FacebookPin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someoneShare on Google+

This is Part Three. You can catch up by reading Part One and Part Two.

My water still hadn’t broken so Christy, our midwife, asked if we would like her to break it and we agreed. This was 6pm. By 7pm Benjamin’s head was still tranverse and the contractions were still out of this world but I didn’t have the urge to push yet. But due to being able to labor all around the room and get things opened up, he was finally able to maneuver his little head into the right spot! Hooray! Once he was good to go Christy told me I could start to push. And pushing him out was easy peasy. Well, not easy peasy, but pushing is great because you get to work with the contractions. I delivered him in a squatting position, holding onto a rope thingy to hold myself up. I don’t really remember a rope thingy, but Daniel says there was one and I was incredibly loopy, exhausted, and sleep-deprived by this point so I trust his memory over my own. I would rest sitting on the edge of the hospital bed and then pull up with the rope to a squatting position when a contraction came along. I spent really all of my laboring to this point in silence. I talked a little bit between contractions but mostly just to ask for “fisticuffs.” But with pushing it was different. Primal grunting sounds escaped my lips. I was WORKING. Benjamin’s heart rate dropped some at this point so they put the fetal monitor into his head just to be safe. It only took about 10 minutes to get his head to crown. They set up a mirror so I could see him come out but…I’m a fainter. My dad and I are both fainters. We faint. A baby coming out of me just didn’t sound like something I needed visual confirmation of. I could feel that baby quite well, thank you very much, so I mostly closed my eyes and worked hard to push him out. After his head crowned, it felt like he TUMBLED out, elbows and knees.  This was 7:47pm.

He gave a good strong cry and I was able to hold him right away and begin to nurse him. Then Daniel held him while they were stitching me up and sang, “Be Thou My Vision” to him, the hymn we sang to him everyday in the womb. Well, we didn’t sing it IN THE WOMB, but he was in the womb when we sang it. You know what I mean.

He was perfect and alert and deeply resented his first bath. Pink and chubby with a full head of black hair. He was 7 lbs 10 oz and 20 inches long with two 9s for his APGARs. The excitement wasn’t quite over. I fainted a half-an-hour after delivery (I told you I’m a fainter) but was quickly revived. Once Benjamin was in our arms, I realized I was STARVING after almost two days without eating hardly a thing. My sainted mother found us some sandwiches because the hospital restaurant was already closed. Apparently these ham and cheese sandwiches were out of some sort of vending machine but they tasted like the food of the gods to me. At this point, I was keyed up to spent the next few hours staring at my baby. Daniel said with relief, “Now we can go to sleep.” After getting set up in our room Daniel immediately nodded off while I unadvisedly slept not at all, enthralled by the sight of my little one. This is not to say that Daniel wasn’t excited about being a father, but as a general rule, exciting events don’t interfere with his ability to sleep. But babies do interfere with your ability to sleep. A couple of months ago we said to ourselves, “hey! I think we finally caught up on sleep from when Benjamin was born.”

I feel like I can take a lot of the credit for our little guy’s birth but I could not have done it without our amazing midwife, Christy, whose patience and expertise saved me from the c-section I would have had due to the transverse position of his head and long labor or without Daniel who coached me through every minute of labor with encouragement, calm, and love.  My mom was my doula during the birth and brought ice chips, blew up birthing balls, put heating pads on my back and cool cloths on my head, and a million other vital tasks. So I had a good team for which I am grateful.

So, Febuary 8th, 2009: Thus began months of exhaustion, continually having vomit on the shoulder of my shirts, and seeing/touching more poop than I thought possible. And thus began my transformation into a mother and falling in love with Daniel all over again as he learned to be a father, relearning the words to lullabyes my mother sang, soaking in the smell of my baby’s head, laughter in the bath tub, and a million other beautiful events of inexpressible joy and boundless love. Picking a best day of one’s life isn’t easy. But it’s hard to beat the day you meet your first-born son.

Share on FacebookPin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someoneShare on Google+


  1. says

    thanks so much for sharing your story! and i agree, the birth of your first son is one of the most wonderful moments life has to offer (with the birth of your second coming in a very close tie!)

  2. says

    Alleged sandwich was not exactly made-to-order, from locally-owned, farm-fresh, free-range, organic, 100% whole grain ingredients. It was, however, from the refrigerated case of the 24-hour deli counter and dispensed by a “real” person….I’m chuckling because I remember going back to purchase a second one, as you were famished!

    • says

      Thanks, Natalie! I enjoyed reading yours, too (written by your husband, if I remember). I’m so grateful I had such an awesome birthing team so that I could have the natural birth we had hoped for, despite the long labor and positioning complications.

  3. says

    Hi Haley,
    I know this is such an old post, but.. I am just doing a little blog-stalking, NBD.
    What a beautiful story and I wish I had the memories and experience you had. My son was born in May of 2009 and though I had notions of wanting to do natural labor I never had a good solid plan, or a mid-wife. Unless motherhood has ruined my memory THAT much, I don’t think we even had a “birth plan.”
    I tried no meds, and then after several hours of awful contractions in the hospital bed (I never had an option to not be hooked up and walk around, and I don’t think I was high-risk, either?) I caved. It was too late for an epidural, so I don’t even know what they gave me. At any rate, there was some problem, his heartbeat was slowing at each contraction, (it’s weird that I don’t know what was happening, I remember nurses whispering, but it was like they were intentionally not telling me) so we had an emergency C-Section.
    It makes me wonder if what had happened in your case was what happened to me, and perhaps it could have been avoided, had I had something like a Mid-wife? Probably not worth it to wonder “what-ifs”? We spend 3.5 days in the hospital afterwards, they kept me on pain-killers the whole time, so I hardly even remember that entire time in the hospital. I sort of feel robbed of those first moments with my son.
    I am getting married in June (and baptized Catholic at Easter) so, God willing, perhaps we will have another baby(ies?) and the next experience will be better?
    Thanks for sharing. Off to read more birth stories!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *